Over the holidays I stumbled upon a really simple recipe for eggnog pie. I’ve never met a cream pie I didn’t like and I love eggnog, so I figured I’d give it a go! I did alter the recipe slightly as I don’t like to use coolwhip. My brother told me a while back that the ingredients in coolwhip are horrifyingly similar to personal lubricant, and that’s not something you forget. Real is usually better anyway so I swapped it out for something more natural, cream.
I brought this pie to 2 Christmas parties and heard no complaints and left with no leftovers, a few even requested the recipe. I was almost embarrassed to share it because it’s so stupid easy. This pie has 4 ingredients if you don’t count the crust. Yup. Four. Doesn’t get much easier than that! Before you get started make sure you have these on hand:
- a carton of eggnog
- 2 instant vanilla pudding packages
- 1 carton of heavy whipping cream
- a baked and cooled pie shell
- 2 cups eggnog
- 1 and 3 tbsp vanilla instant pudding
- dash of nutmeg
- 3 cups of heavy whipping cream
- 1 baked and cooled pie shell
- Beat the eggnog, nutmeg, and 1 package of vanilla instant pudding together for 5 minutes, until it is slightly thickened and smooth. Pour into prepared pie shell, put in the refrigerator to set (30-60 minutes). Pour whipping cream and remaining 3 tbsp vanilla instant pudding into a cold mixing bowl and beat until stiff peaks form but be careful not to overbeat or you'll end up with butter. Pipe or spread onto the top of the pie and refrigerate. The whipped cream will hold its shape for up to a week and the whole pie can be prepared ahead of time and frozen.
I hope you enjoy this pie as much as I did, and you snatch up some of the last of the holiday eggnog!